Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Writing a novel

So my professional academic prospects are pretty bleak given the state of field and lack of jobs available. So, in lieu of finishing my dissertation, I have, for better or ill, paused and begun working on a fantasy novel.

It's tough work to create something like that. I'm pretty good at world-building I think, but less so at coming up with a compelling story. A good fantasy novel needs both. Hopefully I'm up to the challenge. So far I've made it past the several stumbling blocks that have cropped up, namely with internal consistency, characterization of the protagonist, and certain plot points.

I think it will be a fun story all said and done, and I'm planning it as a series, probably a trilogy. Anyway, here's to a successful career detour.

0 comments: